A good group at the ol’ pub last night. The Firestarter Chipotle Porter was quite enjoyable, as was the conversation… Did you miss it?
Here were the topics: (it was a full sheet!)
1. What is your favorite day of the week?
2. How do you nourish yourself spiritually?
What is a spiritual experience?
3. What does the church look like at its best?
At its worst?
4. “There is a time when it is right to explore many religions. One often has to do this in order to find what grasps one at a level deep enough to permit at least initial commitments to be made. But those who stay merely students of religion into middle age become dreary. They know facts and doctrines, and laws and rites, but they know nothing of Mystery.” Thoughts?
5. Is there a difference between respect for a person and respect for his/her ideas?
Are we what we stand for?
6. Resurrection: literal, mythical, mystical?
7. Should everyone be allowed to ‘stand their ground’ ?
Is the right to bear arms a ‘God-given’ right?
8. Does the separation of church and state mean churches should be silent on issues of justice?
9. What role does the state have in determining whether or not people have healthcare?
10. “we allow ourselves to believe in a sovereign god not because we really believe in a sovereign god, but because (much like western politics) we need to somehow justify our need to be power-dominating people who quite literally ‘lord’ ourselves over other people…” Anyone agree?
11. Some religions emphasize the endless cycles of history (Hinduism) where an individual seeks to eventually merge into oneness with universe. The Christian religion is linear, envisioning a culmination in the return of Christ – an escape from the cycles of history. Is our culture inclined toward the linear model for some reason or is it just chance that we are a predominantly Christian society?
– – –
Love to hear some thoughts on any of the above. Post below!